The University of Klagenfurt, with approximately 1,500 employees and over 12,000 students, is located in the Alps-Adriatic region and consistently achieves excellent placements in rankings. The motto “per aspera ad astra” underscores our firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence in all activities in research, teaching and university management. The principles of equality, diversity, health, sustainability and compatibility of work and family life serve as the foundation for our work at the university.
The University of Klagenfurt is pleased to announce the following open position at the Digital Age Research Center, UZ D!ARC, with an expected starting date of September 1st, 2022:
Senior Scientist (all genders welcome)
Level of employment: 100 %
Minimum salary: € 56,861.-- per annum (gross); classification according to collective agreement: B1 lit. b
Limited to: 43 months
Application deadline: August 3rd, 2022
Reference code: 310/22
- Independent research at the intersection of artificial intelligence or data science, and cybersecurity, ideally with a special interest in responsible engineering
- Independent delivery of courses using established and innovative methods (e.g. digital teaching)
- Participation in the research and teaching projects of the cybersecurity research group
- Participation in research activities of D!ARC, which offers unique opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration
- Supervision of students
- Participation in organisational and administrative tasks and in quality assurance measures
- Contribution to expanding the international scientific and cultural contacts of the organisational unit
- Participation in public relations activities
- Doctoral degree in either a cybersecurity related area, or in the areas of artificial intelligence or data science (including statistics), not restricted to technical/mathematical aspects, at a domestic or foreign higher education institution
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Proven academic track record via accepted papers in either a reputable cybersecurity venue, or in an AI/data science (e.g. IACR sponsored conferences and workshops, ACM CCS, Usenix, IEEE S&P, CHI) or in venues (journals) of a comparable standing in the areas of artificial intelligence or data science
- Experience in the acquisition and running of third-party funded projects and readiness to play an active role in third-party funded projects and their acquisition
- Didactic competence and proven successful teaching experience
- Willingness to actively participate in research, teaching and administration
- Scientific curiosity and enthusiasm for imparting knowledge
- Gender mainstreaming und diversity management skills
- Ideally you will be open to collaborations beyond the typical confines of discipline-specific research (in the areas of cryptography, cybersecurity, data science, artificial intelligence, compilers and languages, but also towards the social sciences as part of the group’s agenda to be a central part of the D!ARC research center)
The employment contract is concluded for the position as Senior Scientist, stipulates a starting salary of € 4,061.50 gross per month (14 times a year), and can increase to € 4,487.80 (lit.c) maximum in the case of consideration of previous occupational experience.
The University of Klagenfurt also offers:
- Personal and professional advanced training courses, management and career coaching
- Numerous attractive additional benefits, see also https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/
- Diversity- and family-friendly university culture
- The opportunity to live and work in the attractive Alps-Adriatic region with a wide range of leisure activities in the spheres of culture, nature and sports
If you are interested in this position, please apply in English providing the usual documents:
- Letter of application/motivation
- Curriculum vitae including publication and lecture lists as well as details and an explanation of research and teaching activities (please do not include a photo)
- Proof of all completed higher education programmes (certificates, supplements, if applicable)
- Outline of the content of the completed doctoral programme (listing academic achievements, intermediate examinations, etc.) as well as the content of the thesis (summary, any expert reviews)
- Other documentary evidence that may be relevant to this announcement (see Prerequisites and Additional desired qualifications)
- Please provide three references (contact details of professionals who the university may contact by email for information purposes)
To apply, please select the position with the reference code 310/22 in the category “Scientific Staff” using the link “Apply for this position”.
Candidates must furnish proof that they meet the required qualifications by August 15th, 2022 at the latest.
The University of Klagenfurt is aware of its social responsibility even in times of COVID-19. This is reflected by the high proportion of fully immunised persons among students and employees. For this reason, a continued willingness to be vaccinated in connection with COVID-19 is expected upon entering into university employment.
For further information on this specific vacancy, please contact Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Elisabeth Oswald (firstname.lastname@example.org). General information about the university as an employer can be found at https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/. At the University of Klagenfurt, recruitment and staff matters are accompanied not only by the authority responsible for the recruitment procedure but also by the Equal Opportunities Working Group and, if necessary, by the Representative for Disabled Persons.
The University of Klagenfurt aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore specifically invites qualified women to apply for the position. Where the qualification is equivalent, women will be given preferential consideration.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfil the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.
Translations into other languages shall serve informational purposes only. Solely the version advertised in the University Bulletin (Mitteilungsblatt) shall be legally binding.