Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt invites applications for a
Tenure Track Professorship in Science, Technology and Society Studies (f/m)
at the Department of Science, Technology & Society Studies (Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies).
The University of Klagenfurt is a young, lively, innovative university located in the Austrian province of Carinthia, a meeting point of three cultures. The University is Carinthia’s largest academic institution and a hub for the Alps-Adriatic region in terms of knowledge acquisition, exchange and transfer (for more information please visit our website: www.aau.at/en/jobs/information). The 2020 Times Higher Education World University Ranking lists AAU in the rank groups 301-350 (overall) and 176-200 (Social Sciences), respectively.
The University of Klagenfurt plans to strengthen its Science, Technology & Society research group (https://www.aau.at/en/sts/) with a tenure track position. This is a full-time position (initial employment limited to 6 years) with the option of negotiating a so-called qualification agreement (Assistant Professor, tenure track). Upon fulfilling the qualification agreement, the position is promoted to tenured Associate Professor (permanent employment). Scheduled starting date is 1 April 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Independent research in the field of Science, Technology & Society Studies, including one or more of the following research areas: digitization; bio-economy; sustainability; governance of research, technology and innovation; societal transformation;
- Further development of the candidate’s scientific qualification to the level required for an associate professorship (i.e. habilitation);
- Grant acquisition and management of research projects (national and international);
- Publications in international journals (peer-reviewed) and active participation in national and international conferences;
- Teaching, examination, and supervision of students;
- Administrative and organizational activities;
- Supporting the advancement of young scientists;
- Contribution to the national and international scientific network of the department.
- Excellent doctorate / PhD in a social science discipline (for example Sociology, Political Science);
- Profound knowledge in social science theories and methods, in particular in Science, Technology & Society Studies;
- Experiences in grant application and the management of research projects;
- Publications in international peer-reviewed journals and with renowned publishing houses;
- Teaching experience at university level and didactic competence;
- Excellent English skills (speaking and writing).
Candidates must meet the required qualifications by 8 January 2020 at the latest.
- Relevant international experience (e.g. study abroad, research, training, employment);
- Research activities in the following areas: digitization; bio-economy; sustainability; governance of research, technology and innovation; and / or societal transformation;
- Experience in the organization of scientific workshops and symposia;
- Experience in the development of study programs and innovative teaching formats;
- Membership in the international scientific community of Science, Technology & Society Studies;
- Communication and presentation skills; experience in addressing various publics (academic and non-academic)
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
Salary and Application
The minimum gross salary for this position is € 53,255 per annum (§ 27 Uni-KV B1 lit b, www.aau.at/en/uni-kv), € 62,978 after promotion to Assistant Professor (§ 27 Uni-KV A2) and € 68,285 after promotion to Associate Professor.
Applications should include a CV, cover letter, copies of certificates and degrees, as well as the names and contact details of three persons of reference. In order to support the objectivity of the hiring procedure, we ask applicants to be as clear as possible with respect to the fulfillment of the above-mentioned required and desired qualifications. The deadline for applications is 8 January 2020. Applications for reference code 676/19 must be submitted by pressing the button “Apply for this position”.
As part of its human resources policy, the University of Klagenfurt places particular emphasis on anti-discrimination, equal opportunities and diversity.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfill the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.